cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan default gateway?

keithhampshire
Level 1
Level 1

I am missing one little final step here and I can't seem to figure it out. Basically, I created a Vlan 2 and I can't get any client computer that is on that Vlan (Vlan 2) to ping the router. The two clients on Vlan 2 can ping each other but not the router. Clients that are still on Vlan 1 can ping the router. All three switches in the packet tracer image below can ping the router as well.

I'm using Packet Tracer and I'm only using a single subnet (192.168.100.0/24) for both Vlans. I do not want to use more than one subnet for this lab exercise. 

I'm going to take a wild guess and ask, do vlans other than the default Vlan 1 need a gateway? If so, the 2960 Cisco switch doesn't allow me to do that.

The two circled computers in the image below are on vlan 2.

vlan.JPG

17 Replies 17

Hi @keithhampshire 

You must keep in mind that the communication is like a two-way road, so Router 0 must have a route to the 220.0 network

Router 1 must have a route to network 220.0 and two routes to networks 100.0 and 200.0 for the way back

Finally, Router 2 must have two routes to 100.0 and 200.0 networks as well.

Regards

Yes, that was it!!!

I needed to add the other static routes on the other routers as you said.

I actually figured this out before reading your post, but thanks for the conformation. 

Thanks for hanging in there with me..

Hi @keithhampshire 

Excellent, we are here to help.

Remember to mark the correct answers as solved, because that helps other users with similar doubts.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card