cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan dot1q tag native through MetroEthernet

ahurtadove
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone I got something here I hope you guys can help. I also uploaded a Picture of the devices involvedtopology..JPG

We are working in a project right now where they have a MetroEthernet service between two locations and the SP told them that they would be in VLAN 730.

Initially our client made a trunk between the SP provider device and the CORE SW and worked seamlessly, but later on the native vlan mismatch problem ocurred so he made something to translate all vlans so he could connect between these two places like putting a device between the SP and the CORE SW and setting access ports which I think either way will add latency to the network.

I believe this can be made easier and do what the client made initially to establish a trunk and take out those devices in each edge.

Now here's the question, If I apply vlan dot1q tag native in each of the edge SWs (6509 and 4507) would that solve the native vlan mismatch problem and will the trunk be stablished with no problems at all?

Regardless of the answer given by all of your expertise (which is really appreciated) we have to test this on saturday morning, but I would like to know any previous point of view from all the excellent people who participate in this community

PS: The network design our client has is by all means out of any best practice but that is why they are asking for our services.

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Antonio,

I do not quite understand if the exhibit already contains the SP edge somewhere, or if everything what's in the picture is still a single location of your customer. Also, I am somewhat surprised at the native VLAN mismatch - exactly where did it happen? On which device? What did your customer do to end up with a native VLAN mismatch?

How is the SP providing the Metro Ethernet service? Does he allow using arbitrary customer VLANs over this service, or just a single VLAN? Also, does he expect the customer to send all its frames tagged with the VLAN 730? The question obviously is whether the customer shall perform the metro tag termination himself and also do the double tagging stuff on his own account, or whether the SP is performing the tag termination and allows the customer to use either tagged or untagged frames.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card