ATTENTION: We are currently working an issue with posting. Thank you for your patience while we work on a resolution.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN over WAN

rgenovesi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have two locations connected via bonded T1s (Multilink PPP). I am trying to bridge the whole connection together and pass 802.1Q tags from the devices at each end.

The straight forward bridging works just fine, but when I attempt to use 802.1Q the VLAN IDs disappear somewhere along the eway.

Any suggestions on what to do? Is there anyway to packet dump from inside the Cisco's so I can see the vlan tag?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

AFAIK, it is not able to carry 802.1q in WAN connection, even bridging. You may require to create sub-intefaces in WAN then map to the correspong VLANs. VLAN trunking can be enabled at LAN only. The problem is : can you bridge a trunk ? I believe not.

Hope this helps.

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

I'm not really sure this is what you are looking for, but try this link:

IEEE 802.1Q-in-Q VLAN Tag Termination

"Encapsulating IEEE 802.1Q VLAN tags within 802.1Q enables service providers to use a single VLAN to support customers who have multiple VLANs. The IEEE 802.1Q-in-Q VLAN Tag Termination feature on the subinterface level preserves VLAN IDs and keeps traffic in different customer VLANs segregated. "

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123t/123t_7/gt_qinq.htm

it might help,

Vlad

QinQ is a system that allows you to transport Dot1Q trunks over other Dot1Q trunks, but still doesn't support PPP.

The feature you're looking for is a PPP feature, called BCP. It allows you to configure your PPP links to carry the Dot1Q tags, essentially solving your problem.

Here is a link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801a6d95.html

Hey, thanks for this posts...really cool information.

Vlad

Thanks a lot for the info. I learned new knowledge here. :)

pushkar1782
Level 1
Level 1

yups ,

Q-in-Q tunnel would definitely help out as ealier stated.

Thanks to all for the responses. BCP looks like what I need so I will get up to speed on that.

Thanks,

Rob

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card