cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan & STP

kishorecisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have configured VTP with SW0 with VTP server and SW1, SW2 as VTP client and the VTP Domain as Cisco on all the switches.  when i'm trying to create new vlan the same is not updating in other switches. If i would configure trunk links then stp would not work.

what can i try for this newly created vlans to get updated in other switches.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

for VTP to work you need trunk links. I just configured the links as trunk then added a vlan to the vtp server and both clients received it.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

What is the topology of network? What do you mean by STP would not work. VTP get it updates by trunks.

Otherwise you can configure them as transparent mode. And create VLAN manually.

Please rate helpful post.

Best regards,
Abzal

hi abzal,

what i mean to say is if i configure trunk then stp blocking state will move to forwarding state, is it ok, then how is loops avoided

If you configure SW0 as root bridge and connect SW1, SW2 to SW0 that ports on SW1, SW2 will be on FW state.

And ports between SW1 and SW2 will be blocking state. If you do not change default stp port cost.

Make all ports connected to switches as trunk.

SW1

vtp mode server

vtp password cisco

vtp domain cisco

SW1/SW2

vtp mode client

vtp domain cisco

vtp password cisco

And result will be ok.

Please rate helpful posts.

Best regards,
Abzal

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

for VTP to work you need trunk links. I just configured the links as trunk then added a vlan to the vtp server and both clients received it.

Regards.

Alain

hi cadet,

but  when trunk is configured, then all the interfaces moves to stp forwarding state. is is ok

Hi,

There will be a blocking port on SW0 to prevent loops.

Regards.

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card