Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Tagging on a serial interface?

Hello group,

We are migrating from our NetVPN network to AVPN (ATT provider). One of the locations that I'm working with is a T1 and we connect to the dmarc via a serial interface. Our provider has sent us information for configuring our routers (Cisco 1800 series), including VLAN ID. Since we don't currently use encapsulation on our serial interface, I'm wondering how we'd configure this. Would the serial interface be configured similar to an ethernet interface? As an example...

Instead of...

interface FastEthernet0/1.436

bandwidth 20000

encapsulation dot1Q 436

ip address 192.168.0.200 255.255.255.252

interface Serial0/0/0.436

bandwidth 20000

encapsulation dot1Q 436

ip address 192.168.0.200 255.255.255.252

Thanks,

Chris

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris

dot1Q encapsulation is not supported on serial interfaces. So your suggestion here will not work. If the provider gave you information including vlan ID then they are assuming that the connection is some type of Ethernet. It is possible that if you configure the interface using the addressing, and mask that they gave you that it will work fine. Or it might not. I suggest that you have a discussion with the provider pointing out that the connection is T1 and not Ethernet and asking if they would revise the information that they provided to you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Makes sense to me....I find it bizzare that a company as large as ATT would send this info for each of our locations. I guess I should check the spreadsheet again. This may be the result of a Project Mgr not being familiar. Seems like people wouldn't rise to that position if they didn't have a solid understanding first.

Thanks for the reply, Rick!

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card