Views
Helpful
Replies

vpn inside PPPoE. Make sense?

sir_ulrick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I'm studing PPPoE and its different utilities and maybe it's a stupid question but, I have seen a configuration using vpn inside a system with PPPoE. If I understood correctly, PPPoE is used to connect point to point about MPLS network so make sense to use a vpn inside this infrastructure? I mean, I use vpn when I need to isolate traffic if packets will pass throught internet or different networks but using PPPoE it make sense use vpn?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not sure if I get your question right ...

PPPoE is also used as an access-technology for an ISP to authenticate its customers. When I connect to the Internet, my firewall uses PPPoE to my ISP to authenticate as a valid customer. On this interface, which connected via PPPoE, I run a couple of IPsec-VPNs to business partners and use a VPN to dial in when I am on the road.

That all makes perfectly sense.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Not sure if I get your question right ...

PPPoE is also used as an access-technology for an ISP to authenticate its customers. When I connect to the Internet, my firewall uses PPPoE to my ISP to authenticate as a valid customer. On this interface, which connected via PPPoE, I run a couple of IPsec-VPNs to business partners and use a VPN to dial in when I am on the road.

That all makes perfectly sense.

Thanks a lot for your reply! And sorry for the delay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card