Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Logs and Status

amh4y0001
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have setup site to site vpn in 800 series of routers, looks fine, I can access the resources etc.

Wondering if its possible to setup sort of alert (email for example) if a link at either location go down? 

And log the status as well (down and up duration etc.), possible? Please elaborate, thanks.

4 Replies 4

When you refer to a link going down do you mean the underlying network connection (ie: an Ethernet interface) or the VPN tunnel itself?

The easy answer would be to enable SNMP for the things you want to monitor, but that would require some kind of Network Management Server like SolarWinds. However, this is not email so you'd need someone watching the NMS to know if something happened.

Somewhat more complicated would be to create an EEM script that would trigger on either log messages or IP SLA conditions. This is the more powerful option but also will require a greater depth of knowledge of the tools to get them to do what you want.

Hi,

I am referring both, VPN tunnel and interface itself.

What I can conclude from your reply that there is no easy to use method to cope this?

Setting up a basic NMS like SolarWinds isn't very difficult, it's just an additional expense.

Getting EEM working isn't difficult but it does involve learning scripting you may have never done before.

I saw somewhere about the CDP. Is it something to be consider as well or its not related at all?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card