Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Router - Bird's Eye View

work for a medium size company.  We have a 5508x firewall with IPSEC Remote Access VPN setup on it and an AnyConnect setup too.  These work fine when an individual client logs in with client software. 

We have a remote warehouse that uses the VPN buy logging the same – as a client.

Sometimes they complain about the speed.  We were thinking if we bought a RV260 Remote VPN router that we could just put it at the warehouse and enter our public address and a few credentials and this would improve the speed and simplicity.  It is not that simple.  So, I have some questions.

Do we need two remote VPN routers, one at the main office and one at the warehouse?  Then, do we need a separate Internet connection?  Does the ASA act as the VPN router on our side? 

I have a simple guide to setup the VPN router, but I unclear about the general setup.

Do I need to setup a site-to-site tunnel , which I don’t know how to do?  I barely understand the IPSEC, IKE, Duff-Hillman, AES-192, etc.   I imagine both sides have to match?

Anyway, I am not very clear on how the device functions.  Do I need two, do I need to attach one to the firewall, what’s the general idea of how this works?  Could someone give me a quick bird’s eye overview?

2 Replies 2

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Before considering to add a router/firewall on the warehouse and build and L2L IPsec tunnel with the ASA, ensure you don't have a bandwidth issue on the warehouse side (ISP, what is uplink/downlink). If they only sometimes complain about the speed, it may be that at that point the ISP is slower.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Thanks for the idea.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card