cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vrf-lite on campus network

mrshabbs
Level 1
Level 1

We are operating a 3 tier campus network, in simple terms, 2 cores, 2 distribution switches and 2 access switches, all multihomed and resilient.
I have a new requirement for separating user traffic, from the access, across the dist and core layers and out to the edge, i.e. complete isolation with separate routing instances for customer A and customer B. The customer vlans terminate at the distribution layer, and we run layer 2 trunks between the distribution and core.
I am trying to lab the new network using vrf-lite. I have created 2 vrf instances (cust A & cust B) on the distribution layer and configured the svis's for the vlans into the appropriate vrf instances.

int vlan 10
ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip vrf cust A

int vlan 20
ip address 10.20.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip vrf cust A

int vlan 30
ip address 10.30.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip vrf cust B

int vlan 40
ip address 10.40.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip vrf cust B

I am unsure what the next stage is, i.e. how to enable the vrf between the dist's and the core's across the Layer 2 trunks.

1)Do I need to create a L3 interface for each of the vlans on the core, or

2)Do I need to utilise a routing protocol to send the vrf's between the dist's and the core's

Thanks in advance...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You could use separate L3 routed interfaces per VRF but I assumed you wanted to use the existing trunk connections ,that is all I meant. 

As long as you have a routed connection per VRF it doesn't really matter how you achieve that if you see what I mean. 

Jon

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
I would create sub interfaces between the core and the distribution and allocate each one into the respective VRF, you can then use a routing protocol and allocate the VRF to each process, this will give you the separation you require, with VRF lite you effectivltey need to create the same routing tables across the path.

@shaps -Thanks for the reply. 

Rather than using sub-interfaces, as I have a requirements only for 2 vrf's and therefore scalability isnt a concern, can i create a 'transit' vlan, with an svi at the dist switch and an svi at the core switch, add the 'transit' vlan into the vrf (along with the relevant cust vrf's) and then use the trunkport between the dist and the core to carry the traffic?

Hello,

in addition to 'shaps' post, since your distribution layer switch is not a layer 3 switch, you don't really need to separate the VRFs there. You need to separate them at the first layer 3 device, which I assume is your core switch (?).

Either way, the config on the core switch would like soomething like below. Just trunk your VLANs to the core switch as you would normally do. For the sake of convencience and testing I have added DHCP pools for each VRF:

ip vrf CUST_A
rd 1:1
route-target export 1:1
route-target import 1:1
!
ip vrf CUST_B
rd 2:2
route-target export 2:2
route-target import 2:2
!
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.1.1
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.20.1.1
!
ip dhcp pool CUST_A
vrf CUST_A
network 10.10.1.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 10.10.1.1
!
ip dhcp pool CUST_B
vrf CUST_B
network 10.20.1.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 10.20.1.1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.10
encapsulation dot1Q 10
ip vrf forwarding CUST_A
ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.20
encapsulation dot1Q 20
ip vrf forwarding CUST_A
ip address 10.20.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.30
encapsulation dot1Q 30
ip vrf forwarding CUST_B
ip address 10.30.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.40
encapsulation dot1Q 40
ip vrf forwarding CUST_B
ip address 10.40.1.1 255.255.255.0

@ all who have kindly replied so far..

The dist switches are currently acting as L3 as the vlans terminate on these switches. Between the dist's and the cores are trunks, not routed interfaces. Cheers

Hi,

Then you must extend VRF till to the Distribution switches.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

So you use a transit vlan for each VRF and route the other VRF vlans over the transit vlan ? 

If so then yes that is exactly the way I would do it and then you either run a dynamic routing protocol or use statics to exchange the routes. 

Jon

Thank you..

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

My suggestion to make VRF only on your Layer 3 device as Core switch only if your distribution switch is not functioning as layer 3. 

Now create a subinterface on the core switch with each VLAN + VRF and extend it same like Normal Tree tier network. It will work fine. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Deepak, Georg 

In the OPs initial post he says the customer vlans terminate at the distribution layer so he needs to route between the distribution and core switches but has to use a trunk to keep the VRF segregation all the way to the core. 

Just didn't want to confuse OP with talk of just using core for VRFs. 

Jon

@ all.. Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. 

@Jon Marshall. Jon, based On your response I intend to create 1 common subnet between the dist and core for each vrf and assign a single ip from that subnet at the core and also the dist. I will then add the cust clams into the vrf at the dist.. This leads me to another question, what exactly do you mean with your previous response when you suggested I need the L2 trunk as I need complete vrf segregation to the core? Why do I need the L2 trunk to achieve segregation, could I not achieve segregation by using a routed interface on both the dist and core for each vrf (or sun interfaces for multiple vrf’s) ? Thanks

You could use separate L3 routed interfaces per VRF but I assumed you wanted to use the existing trunk connections ,that is all I meant. 

As long as you have a routed connection per VRF it doesn't really matter how you achieve that if you see what I mean. 

Jon

I do - thanks very much..
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card