Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP Setup

anthonykahwati
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

With the below topology, is it possible to get VRRP up and running between the two switches if I create L3 portchannels to the firewall instead of sub-ifs or SVI's with trunked vlan's?

I'm guessing the only way would be if the two L3 port channels were attached to a L2 switch or is there a way that the switches can use their own L2 port channel between them to get it working?

Thanks

vrrp_topology.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That isn't going to work because there is no L2 path between the L3 port channels. 

You need to use SVIs if those are L3 switches. 

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That isn't going to work because there is no L2 path between the L3 port channels. 

You need to use SVIs if those are L3 switches. 

Jon

Yup pretty much what I thought. Was hoping I’d missed a trick with all the years of sub-ifs and SVI’s. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to create FW side VRRP, then you need to Layer 2 right ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

its all about the switches. Need vrrp there on the l3 port channels. The firewalls are actually mis-represented in the diagram and just have a floating active address in an active / standby setup. 

You need Layer 2 for the peer to communicate each other., suggest that you can have SVI using L2 port-channel.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

FW is HA
You need to connect via L2, 
L3 port channel can not config here.

One SVI in each L3SW and in FW sub interface IP. during the failover the Sub-interface IP is change and need to send ARP to declare it new Active FW. 
Need L2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card