Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP BETWEEN SWITCH AND ROUTER

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner and just started my diploma in IT. I'm currently stuck on this question, switch 3 is the VTP server and the rest of the switches are clients, I've already configured them as clients and server with the same domain name.

I added a new VLAN in the VTP server(switch 3) and the clients (switch 0,1,2) should have the additional VLAN but when I show VLAN brief there's no additional VLAN.

My professor said that I have to configure something in the router but I have no idea what to do because this is out of our syllabus. I know that VTP is a Layer 2 protocol but can it be forwarded to the layer 3 boundary? If so what do I need to do? 

Regards,

Alice.
Capture.PNGVT

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

on all three routers, configure the below:

interface FastEthernet1/0

switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet1/1

switchport mode trunk

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
To all concerned,
It is very clear this thread is school work.
Help the students learn: Post the links to documents and configuration guides.
Please refrain from handing out answers.

Thankyou for sharing this link

Hello,

can you post the (zipped) project file of your Packet Tracer project (.pkt) ? What you are running into has to do with VTP, under normal circumstances, not being able to cross a layer 3 boundary (the router in your case).

VTP is a layer 2 protocol. Do a search on the terms 'VTP, native Vlan, 01000ccccccc'.

The link below might help as well...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/vtp/98154-conf-vlan.html

Hi, I've read through the link you've sent and it involves two switches that are connected right? However, in my case there are routers in between of the switches. Thanks for posting the link though

Hello,

what your instructor probably wants you to do is to put the router in bridge mode...

Hello,

bridging is not even available on your routers...

Can you post the full instructions of this project ?

Hello, here it is

Hello,

the instructions do not mention anything about routing or inter-Vlan routing. The only way I can get the three switches to be in the same domain is by adding a switching module to the routers and connecting all switches to these modules. Which effectiveky eliminates the routers. It works because I created Vlan 2 and Vlan 4 on Switch 3 (the VTP server), and they were immediately propagated to the other two switches.

I would ask your instructor if adding these switching modules is what they are looking for (something needs to be done on the routers)...

I have attached the revised file...

Thankyou so much!! I'll ask my professor

Hello, this is the file.

Hello,

on all three routers, configure the below:

interface FastEthernet1/0

switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet1/1

switchport mode trunk

Marc Neoberg
Level 1
Level 1

In Order to configure a VTP for Servers or clientmode (Packet Tracer1.3.2025) follow the steps bellow:
#enable
#configure terminal
#vtp mode server
# vtp domain (enter your domain.com/.eu)
# vtp password
#end

Check your configuration with the following command:
#show vtp status

Cheers!

Sorry, but it's unclear to me how your information applies to the OP.  Could you expand upon it?  Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card