Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP changes from Client to Transparent

Hi,

I have a problem with vtp configuration and can't find information why it behaves so strange.

I have a big network with cisco switches. Core switch 3750-X acting as vtp server and I have 25 access switches with vtp set in client or transparent mode. I am trying to add another switch to the network, but every time after I configure the vtp with password and domain on that particular switch (2960S-24TS-S) it is changing after 2-3 seconds mode to transparent by itself.

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Perhaps it is an issue with the VTP version in use.  Try newer software on the 2960S.

HI !

Can you please try to delete the config file and vlan.dat file 

write erase 

reload 

it will remove all configurations..

then give a try i hope will help you .

thank you

CRaju 

I've got this error:

Proposed configuration has too many VLANs for this device's core memory
resources.  Either reduce the number of VLANs proposed or use another VTP
device to configure database.  (The latter will cause this device to enter TRANSPARENT mode automatically if propagated to it.)

azibnaseem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @grigori grigoryan

please share your running config of that particular switch & also mentioned the interface which is connected to other switch on the network.

regards'

Hello

Remove it from the network, and delete if vlan.dat file in the flash, reload it and reconfigure and re-attached to network.

delete flash:vlan.dat

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Have you tried to erase the configuration before to configure the VTP settings?: 

write erase
then
reload

regards. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi all, thank you for your answers. I've found the issue. We have around 100+ Vlans and that switch has LAN lite feature set which support only up to 64 Vlans. Because of that I couldn't change mode from transparent to client.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card