Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC-1MFT-E1 and NM-8E1 IMA

cisco96050
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

we need to interconnect multiple branch office (CISCO 1841 with VWIC-1MFT-E1 ) via E1 links to the main site (CISCO 3745 with NM-8E1 IMA ). We succeeded to connect them using the same VWIC-1MFT-E1 at both sides (Branch / HQ), but I need to connect up to 10 sites in the future, so we thought that may be we can use ( NM-8E1 IMA) to make it possible and to save some space for any future upgrades. Honestly, we couldn't find any E1 related commands to configur this card (NM-8E1 IMA). Did we choosed the wrong card (NM-8E1 IMA).?

The soonest reply would be really appreciated . . . Many thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

Shelley Bhalla
Level 3
Level 3

Hi...

I am afraid I dont bring good news but hope this information helps...

NM-8E1 IMA is End of life end of sale.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd800f1d61_ps282_Products_End-of-Life_Notice.html

Means there are better repalcements for this product and support will end soon as well.

Now this is a IMA card means ATM whereas VWIC-1MFT-E1 does not support ATM. It needs AIM-ATM card to be aable to support ATM and then these sites should be able to connect however the service provider then needs to provide ATM switching capabilities.

I dont believe there is a 8 port T1 card for 3745.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/nm/hardware/installation/guide/OvrNetM.html

you will have to use multiple cards unless you move to a 7200 which has some PA(port adapters) with 8 T1 lines.

Shelley.

Now this is a IMA card means ATM whereas VWIC-1MFT-E1 does not support ATM. It needs AIM-ATM card to be aable to support ATM and then these sites should be able to connect however the service provider then needs to provide ATM switching capabilities.

No, ATM on leased circuits can be done without any service from SP.

However ATM especially on E1, is obsolete technology, has high overhead and should not be used for new projects.

OP should look at upgrading the router to connect so many circuits.

cisco96050
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks alot for everyone here, but can we be more specific? W

e have only E1 connections available from the local provider here as a private city-wide connection media, so we have to choose the right wics for this purpose. Now, obviusly we can use VWIC-1MFT-E1 with 1841 at every branch office,but what should I use exactly at the HQ? Sorr, but it is not easy for me to choose the right product within +60,000 items from CISCO.

So many thanks in advance

Let me see if I have it so far;

10 + E1 connections, hub and spoke.

Take a look at the asr1000. there are some spa modules that would appear to meet your needs.

I would get something like a 2911 or 2921, with 3x HWIC-4T1/E1.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card