cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 as a non channelized serial port

mreed
Level 1
Level 1

I am replacing a current phone system and network infrastructure and am working on a game plan.  The problem I have is the routers I'm replacing use WIC-1Ts and an external CSU/DSU the is making it a fractional T1 with 4 ports for voice between the sites phone systems.  I'm installing 2901 routers and the T1 will now terminate on a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 and the external CSU/DSU and voice channels will go away when we call live with the new CUCM.  But in the mean time I'd like to have these new routers connected and working.

What I really need to know is, is there any way to use a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 with an external CSU/DSU as a traditional serial interface?

4 Replies 4

Rick Arps
Level 4
Level 4

You can configure the vwic to act like a regular t1 interface.

Under the controller config, add this (adjust the number of channels for your situation):

controller T1 0/3/0
channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

Then you'll get this in your interface list:

interface Serial0/3/0:0
no ip address

And you can configure it like any other serial interface.

Hope this helps

Rick

Doh!  After reading your post again, I'm not sure if this will work for you since the card will be acting as the csu/dsu.

It will work anyway.

Excellent, thank you.

The routers I'm replacing is currently using a CAB-V35FC-10 with a V.35F to a DB60M.  It sounds like you've done this before, do you have a recommenation on connecting that V.35F to the RJ45 jack?  I'm having a really hard time finding something that could make that connection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco