cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC3-1MFT-G703 - config for unframed G703 / local crossover cable for setup?

ewald.jenisch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

From our carrier we get a 2MBit line specified as "unframed G703". This line should be connected to two 2900-Routers (IOS 15.1) each equipped with a VWIC3-1MFT-G703-card.

Being absolutely new to G703 I'm looking for a basic config so we can use that line just for pure data - no split data/voice and/or any other fancy things - just a vanilla 2Mbit pipe of data.

Since in the end these two routers will be several hundreds of kilometers apart I'd like to make sure, that esp. the WAN link works. Given the fact that the G703-interface of the two routers has a RJ45-plug: can I simply connect the two routers back2back via an Ethernet crossover-cable to "emulate" the WAN-connection?

Thanks much in advance for your help,

-ewald

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not a secret really, 1 and 2 to 4 and 5.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is often asked and you would have found searching before asking.

Anyway, Yes, you can use a T1/E1  crossed cable (not an ethernet cable) to make a local connection.

You will need to supply clock on one side.

Oops, so no way of using a normal patch-cable?

Do you know where I can find the pinouts of a crossed E1-cable?

-ewald

Not a secret really, 1 and 2 to 4 and 5.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Hi Paolo,

thanks alot - with all questions answered I'll proceed going out configuring a cable...

-ewald

m.adachi
Level 1
Level 1

1 and 2, 4 and 5 pairs are the same on an ethernet straight through. Yes, you can use a standard ethernet cable to connect VWIC3. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card