Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC3-4MFT-T1/E1 and a Cisco 2911 Router

This is a quick validation question.

Can I populate all 4 EHWIC slots in a Cisco 2911 router with VWIC3-4MFT-T1/E1 cards supporting clear channel T1 data traffic?

Or do I need a higher performance router inthe 3900 series to do this?

The data sheets lead me to the conclusion that I can but I just want to validate this.

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. Or even a 2901.

So what I the processing power difference between the VWIC3-4MFT-T1/E1 versus an HWIC-4T1/E1?

One of my fellow engineers opened a TAC case and was told that for a 2911 would have serious performance issues if it had more than two of these cards.

The application is for just Clear Channel Point to point T1 traffic.  Nothing fancy.

The HWIC cards are $900 list less than the VWIC3 card.  Is the performance worth it?

If you are just doing garden variety T-1 the Hwic will do the job.

the Vwic3 supports much more voice functionality (drop insert...)

OK,  But then I see in a document that Cisco is saying that the 2911 will only support 1 HWIC-4T1/E1.  and the 2921 and 2951 will only do 2 of these cards. I have to go to a 3925 to do 3 or 4 which is where I want to be.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/product_data_sheet0900aecd80710c77.html

Or do I jump the shark and go to an ASR1002?

Assuming you are building a head end, I have always regretted undersizing the head end device.

do you need to consider moving off T-1's in the future? how complex of a config will you need to support.

I'd go for the ASR in a minute.

Cisco tries to protect market for their bigger devices introducing this kind limitations. In reality, nodadays any router would work fine with 16 T1s of whatever interface type.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card