Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC support on ISR 4321/4331

Vincent Fortrat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a customer who has ISR 4331 and 4321 on branch sites. There is no UCS-E modules but we do have 200GB SSD storage and 8/16GB of RAM. In this configuration, is it possible and supported to run a low scale vWLC as a service container ?

Thanks,

Vincent

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry yes that's the architecture behind Mobility Express.

If you're looking to upgrade the APs, you might want to take a look at the 18/28/3800 APs with Mobility Express. You don't need an additional WLC then. The WLC2504 is also a really good option that isn't too expensive. Finally, if they have an ISR4K you could use a NIM UCS-E with vWLC (UCS-EN140N-M2/K9). Least expensive would probably be the Mobility Express route followed by the 2504 and finally the UCS-E although I'm not certain on pricing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mcotherman
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested in this also...

CCIE# 6771

Technically this is possible. However the WLC product team has decided not to productize a KVM version of vWLC running on an ISR. That could change in the future with either a hosted KVM WLC (vWLC) or WLC functionality native on the ISR4K. Because we share a code base with the Catalyst series of switches, both of these are possibilities.

Thank you, is the eWLC you are referring to the same as mobility express?

I google 'cisco eWLC' and the only results from Cisco are a couple bug reports...

just looking to replace a customers ISR/NM-WLC6/1242G solution without breaking the bank...

CCIE# 6771

Sorry yes that's the architecture behind Mobility Express.

If you're looking to upgrade the APs, you might want to take a look at the 18/28/3800 APs with Mobility Express. You don't need an additional WLC then. The WLC2504 is also a really good option that isn't too expensive. Finally, if they have an ISR4K you could use a NIM UCS-E with vWLC (UCS-EN140N-M2/K9). Least expensive would probably be the Mobility Express route followed by the 2504 and finally the UCS-E although I'm not certain on pricing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card