cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN BW

efc.admin
Level 1
Level 1

I have two WAN lines, one internet line 30 Mbps and the other is WAN line connected to the branch with 20 Mbps:

My question is which is better to support this bandwidth and better throughput: CISCO router 888/k9, or, CISCO router 2911/k9

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

if you have a choice, definitely go for the 2911. With a total of 50MB throughput, you are very likely to hit the maximum on the 888. The 2911 is listed as having a thorughput of approximately 180MB...

View solution in original post

is cisco router 888 can't support the 50 Mbps

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As the others have noted, the 888 offers (much) less performance than the 2911. Actually, Cisco recommends the 88x series for only 8 Mbps and the 2911 for only 15 Mbps of WAN bandwidth. Of course Cisco recommendations are very conservative, but I too would say the 888 is a too small for 50 Mbps.

If you can expand your choices, the later 1xxx series might work well for you. Possibly an 89x might too. Either should cost less than a 2911.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

if you have a choice, definitely go for the 2911. With a total of 50MB throughput, you are very likely to hit the maximum on the 888. The 2911 is listed as having a thorughput of approximately 180MB...

is cisco router 888 can't support the 50 Mbps

Hello,

I think it is listed as somewhere around 30, so it probably would support 50, but you are reaching the limits then. As stated, if you have a choice, go for the 2911.

Appreciated

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As the others have noted, the 888 offers (much) less performance than the 2911. Actually, Cisco recommends the 88x series for only 8 Mbps and the 2911 for only 15 Mbps of WAN bandwidth. Of course Cisco recommendations are very conservative, but I too would say the 888 is a too small for 50 Mbps.

If you can expand your choices, the later 1xxx series might work well for you. Possibly an 89x might too. Either should cost less than a 2911.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card