cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Design question

asulsky
Level 1
Level 1

hi, my cuurent situaution is I have 2 offices with identical setup.

3750---pix515---2621XM--ISP

Both offices need to be conected and I've done this with an IPSec between the Pix's. I am not using any dynamic routing. Now I have a request to add one more 2621XM router to each side.

--2621XM----ISP1

3750---pix515--|

--2621XM----ISP2

How should I approach this? How should I set up the routing?

Thanks for any info!

Alex

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

from ur post afaiu u r goin to connect to second isp on each locations if not do correct me.

if yes r u goin to use the second router with new link to another isp for load balancing sort of concept or for reduandcy ?

do revert on those lines...

regds

Hey, thanks for your reply. I made a slight mistake on my second network diagram. It should be:

--------------------------------------------

SITE1: 10.10.1.0

...............--2621XM----ISP1

3750---pix515--|

...............--2621XM----ISP2

SITE2: 10.10.2.0

...............--2621XM----ISP1

3750---pix515--|

...............--2621XM----ISP3

--------------------------------------------

There are 3 ISP's total. ISP1 ~ 100MBps; ISP2 ~ T1; ISP3 ~ T1. So the primary connection to the internet will be ISP2 on both sides.

Failover is the primary reason for the upgrade to 2 routers on the edge on each site. There isnt much need for load balancing, though if it doesnt interfere with anything, I would preffer it simply because I think it would allow me to add more internet connections easier, as the sites grow.

**But failover for the connectivity between the two sites (using IPSec ?) and to the internet is the main objective.**

Some more restrictions:

In Site 1, I am publishing several webservers and a VPN concentrator (Pix) through ISP2. These services have to stay up after the addition of these new routers to each site.

I have been thinking about this design:

set up VRRP/GLBP(?) on the routers and set up a site-to-site IPsec from the Pix's.

Will the two sites be able to communicate when any ISP link goes down?

Thanks again.

Another thing...

Will I need to set up any routing between the 2PIXs, and the 4 routers so that they notify each other about link changes? If so, is it a security risc? Do I need to also set up tunnels between each of the routers to pass the routing info?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card