cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Failover with 2821

jmichel1976
Level 1
Level 1

Have a Cisco 2821 that currently has the 4esw-Hwic.  There is currently a fiber/ethernet internet connection on it, want to add an additional Internet connection and have it failover, preferably to specific Lan networks, But I'm not sure it's possible with the current hardware. Won't the router always see the 4esw ports as up?  Can this be done?

heres the current interface list

nterface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

GigabitEthernet0/0         WAN IP   YES NVRAM  up                    up

GigabitEthernet0/1         LAN IP  YES NVRAM  up                    up

FastEthernet0/0/0          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet0/0/1          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet0/0/2          unassigned      YES unset  up                    down

FastEthernet0/0/3          unassigned      YES unset  up                    up

Vlan1                      unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    down

Vlan2                      Assigned to fa0/0/2     YES NVRAM  up                    up

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it ispossible.

If you are not sure how to configure it, engage a reputable consultat or certified Cisco partner, to avoid a spending a lot of time learning things to be used once.

I'd like to learn how to do it, as to gain an understanding on how to do it, if I always paid someone to do something I couldn't I'd never learn how to do anything..lol, I'd be willing to pay someone to guide me through the configuration, if they want to send their contact info

For a basic Failover scenario, check this document:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/NAT_failover_with_DUAL_ISP_on_a_router_Configuration_Example

For implementing PBR (so that specific vlans chose specific ISP while trying to access Internet) check the following documnet:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8313

Hope it helps you in getting started

Neeraj

that looks simple enough, my question now is for sure can i do it when one of the ISP's are plugged into the 4ESW-HWIC

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card