Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Link Failover

saroj pradhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

please  suggest  what are  the different  ways  to inliement   WAN Link failover.

i have  2  WAN links from  different ISP's. Also  two  2821 Routers.

please suggest.

Thanks,

Saroj

7 Replies 7

Mani kandan
Level 1
Level 1

YOu can use HSRP/GLBP protocol at your senario.

Hi

You can use HSRP (GLBP if you need load-balancing) if the local IP clients are using the two routers (with the wan links connected) as default gateway (of course the two ISPs should implement the correct configuration on their routers),

If you have on the LAN other L3 devices actinc as default gateway, you can configure dynamic protocol with the routers of the ISPs (ospf, bgp, eigrp, even ripv2) and let the protocol do the job (of course with the correct cofiguration).

Regards

Mauro

Hi ,

please help  me to  implement  the  WAN Link failove.

At  persent  i have  one  router  at  the edge  and  two  wan links   configured  .policy  based  routig is  configured to  route  Vlans  traiific to  the  two  ISP's  .

The router is  connected  to  ASA5510 Firewall .

i am planning  to  use  another  router at the edge  for  WAN link  failover  but  how  the  connectivity  with  the Routers and  ASA5510 will be implemented.

please advice.

Thanks,

Saroj

Implemen two routers on netork .. and create the GLBPit will help you for automatic failover and load sharing

You can do it in simple way just create IPSA

track 1

iplsa 1

icmpecho ISP1 using Source INterface 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (next Hope ip address) 1 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (next hope ip address) 2

if your track 1 goes down traffic will be shift to other default route wiht admin distance of 2.

*** Do Rate Helpful Posts***

Jawad

With one L3 device behind the routers, like the ASA, GLBP will not balance the traffic, so better to sue the simpler HSRP.

If you really need load balancing you should implement one IGP between the two routers and the firewall, like OSPF, EIGRP or RIPv2.

Ideally the setup in general are as below

ASA----ethe-----WANROUTER----|------------link1

|------------link 2

so all the config on WAN will be as follows

use ip sla with with satstic default route , similarly for backup link make AD for static route with  track higher.

Reply if this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card