cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Optimization

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

Is WAN Optimization supported on Cisco ASA5520 Firewall and Cisco 3750 Switches. We need to add/enable WAN Optimizer functionality to make 3PAR data replication as efficient as possible and looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

10 Replies 10

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

If you don't want to spend any money on hardware I suggest you review your QoS configuration.

Otherwise you could look at purchasing WAAS devices. You need one at each end of the link. See below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/contnetw/index.html

Don't forget to rate all posts that are helpful.

Thanks Sean!  I will rate the post.

One more thing.  So ASA5520 and 3750 Switch woudn't support WAN Optimization and the new hardware will be required or review the QOS.

Thanks!

Yes, for WAN optimization you will need a WAAS deployed at each end of the link.

The switch and ASA do not have the WAN optimization features of a WAAS.

WAAS for example have a built in hard drive used to cache data.

You will need to understand what port numbers 3PAR uses before purchasing them.

WAN optimisatizers for example do not optimize UDP traffic.

As an alternative see below a configuration example for QoS on an ASA.

You could on the ASA for example police your outbound 3PAR data replication traffic.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1230

Sean,

Thanks for all of your help. I like to rate the post, but I don't see a rating option.

Hi, See below:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8052

On the stars below to select your rating, "hover" over the stars on the left:

• 1 star means Not useful = Lowest rating
  • 2 stars mean Somewhat useful
  • 3 stars mean Helpful
  • 4 stars mean Very Help
  • 5 stars mean Extremelly Helpful = Highest Rating

I think WAN Optimization is supported on Cisco ASA5520 Firewall and Cisco 3750 Switches. You can connect it with Cisco router. If you will face any problem, you should contact any company, who provides WAN Optimization solution. Wanos Networks provides well WAN Optimization solution, you can contact them. 

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

In addition to what Sean already posted, I would like to ask you, what do you want to optimize? I'm assume that you have two or multiple locations connected over WAN links. In this case consider that you need on each location an optimization device or application. If you just add a wan optimization device on one location, you will not see any improvment.

If you want to go in this directions and understand what wan optimization implies, then I can suggest another vendor (Cisco WAAS suggested by Sean is also great, just to have another opinion) like Riverbed. I worked with their product (hardware and software) so I can say they do a pretty good job.

If you don't have the necessary resources to invest, check what you can optimize locally (e.g. reduce unnecessary ACLs, check for errors on the interfaces, check for consistent configurations). You cannot image how harmful is a bad configuration and how this would make you think you need wan optimization.

Cheers,

Calin

Calin,

We need to replicate SAN data between the Primary Data Center and the DR site.  The link is 90mbs.  We are working to find out how much 3PAR storage requires to replicate the data before choosing the right product.  Along with Riverbad, what is your opinion on F5 WOM.

Regards,

I cannot have an objective opinion about F5 wan optimization product as I never worked with it. I used other products from F5 and they proved to be very good. So, if they do the same job with wan optimization product, you might give them a try. Maybe you can obtain some trial period from them.

Cheers,

Calin

mitch.leskela
Level 1
Level 1

Abbas, just came across your post, if you haven't implemented WAN Op yet, thought I'd mention to come check out HyperIP, "I work for the company" it's a WAN Optimization VM with focus primarily on long distance bulk data acceleration.  It mitigates latency and packet loss + does compression.  Download it from our site or the VAM.  Let me know if you have any questions about it.

-Mitch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card