cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Want to change interface description on 637 routers at a set time

sterling_wright
Level 1
Level 1

We are going to change ISP providers on 637 routers at a set time on a set date.   I would like to have all 637 router interface descriptions change from showing (ISPx) to (ISPz) all at the same time (midnight).   Is there a command that will change just the ISP name we have put in the interface description at a specific time/date without having to do anything that would cause any loss of traffic flow across the interface?   This will be for several different models of routers, so I don't know if that would be a complicating matter as well.

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Try using an EEM script using a cron timer:

event manager applet change_desc
event timer cron cron-entry "0 0 * * *" maxrun 1
action 1.0 cli command "enable"
action 2.0 cli command "conf t"
action 3.0 cli command "int gi1/1"
action 4.0 cli command "desc <your_description>"
action 6.0 cli command "end"
action 7.0 cli command "wr"

....you will need to change the int gi1/1 to suit each of your devices.

The obvious question is how are you planning on placing the script onto 637 routers? I would suggest you use Ansible for that task, that way you could also use group vars based on router platforms which which could treat the int gi1/1 as a variable meaning the playbook could dynamically substitute a value depending on the hardware platform. It begs the question if you've got this far you may as well use Ansible to change the interface description which will give a nice success/ failure report at the end of the run. The only issue with Ansible is that there are a finite number of parallel connections that can be run so you would not be able to execute the command against all 637 routers at the stoke of midnight in the same fashion that the EEM script could.

cheers,

Seb.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @sterling_wright ,

I wonder if you are changing ISP you should change also the IP address on the interface if it was provided by ISP X and now you are going to connect to ISP Y

My first concern would be this one.

Or are you able to keep the same IP addresses when changing the ISP ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The only thing changing is the name of the ISP carrier, no IP address change. Thanks!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card