cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is brodcast strom

daveporter123
Level 1
Level 1

how can i control the brodcast strom and also the multicast strom?

and someone please explain me what step or point should be keep in mind during the network design of 300 host in network?

how can i select the peritcular routers and switches? i have two ISP connection so how can i have redunduncy between them? i have one webserver in my network which i want to allow to access through internetwork. and i also want to create vlan like reserch, executive, sales, marketing and production. i want to restrict sales marketing and production vlan to access the research and executive vlan but reserch and executive vlan can access to all other vlan so please guide me for the same design

dporter

2 Accepted Solutions
6 Replies 6

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Bettter way it is have vlan on your network, which will solve your problem, basically vlan will never broadcast to other networ, generally broadcast will happen only if more computers there on the network which can from a virus infected PC or a Network Virus, thus by segmenting your 300 PC's in to different department or domains,broadcast can be avoided by spreading in to all the 300 PC's on the network, when you create multiple vlan's, one vlan broadcast will not be forwarded to other vlans.since broadcast affects the same vlan, it will not be sent to others networ segment or departments.

hope this helps.

rate this post.

thanks for your reply, but i am looking for defination of broadcast strom and mulitcast strom and its prevention steps. i know vlan not allow to pass the brodcast but what to do if any perticular vlan have large broadcast in that vlan.

dporter

dave

i think you are looking for this:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=99029&seqNum=3&rl=1

remember to rate the post if it helps

regards

Devang

yes its much better thanks for your help actully this document gives total detail of strom control technology

dporter

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

When we have to transfer data from one PC to other connected via a switch,a switch generally does a first time broadcast to learn the MAC address on the wire.The host responds to the broadcast and the mac address is sent to the switch.Once the mac address are learnt, the rest of the frames are forwarded to that particular port.In that case, there is no broadcast of frames to all ports.This is how a switch works.

Now if there is a malicious script running in any of your PC, it will make a switch to broadcast frames to all ports.In that case all the hosts to which respond and there will be a series of broadcasts in the network.Due to this, there will be a clog in the network.

This is termed as broadcast storms.

These can be eliminated using seperate segementation of the LAN which you already know hoe to do(Vlans etc)

Hope I am making myself clear......

Pls rate helpful posts.

Regards

JD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card