cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is max DRAM on 25xx routers ?

mikey777
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sort of going down the ipv6-25xx road, as I have more than a few, and used to think that 16MB DRAM was the max. Is 32 max ? I am curious as there are images that may run ipv6 that I cannot load on a 16MB 2514.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

16MB DRAM is the maximum. Check the site below, I used to buy from them in the (very distant) past...

https://www.memoryx.com/2514.html

Yea, I went back and looked at the 11.3 docs, 16MB it is. How then do I have an IOS that is about 16MB that cannot be loaded via tftp nor copied to 16MB of flash ?

I forgot to check, is 32MB flash possible ?

My thread is partly a dead end anyways, as the 25xx series is too old (inexpensive) too old-school to get ipv6 on it. I think I'm leaving my 25xx lab for BGPv6 and other things, and i will stick to 26xx (and Juniper)for IPv6 stuff.

Are yo referring to the Cisco 2500 Series Routers?

Do you have them in a production network environment or in your personal lab to learn/play?

If you have them in a network production environment, I guess it is time to look for a replacement like the ISR 4000 series.

If you have them in your lab, it may be easier to practice IPv6 in a virtualized environment like VIRL.

Cheers.

Hello again :)

Home lab, I'll always have a home lab, until the day I become virtual too.

As far as upgrading goes, I'm too old to fall for all that baloney. Bill Gates did it, they all do it, they all tell you on Day1 that this is the greatest thing and you need it now. Then on day3 that thing needs to be upgraded, then the same on Day5, and Day7, and Day9.....it's part of the natural (or unnatural) progression of a company.

I'll give you a motto I made up, about life in general:

Companies, nations, groups in general, are like trees, like all living things, they start, they grow, and they end. cisco is on it's way towards the end. I see it. In 2 decades it has gotten closer to being at the end. And if I had the money, it would be fairly easy to help cisco get right to the end a lot quicker. cisco does a lot of things badly, worse every year. part of it's the nation, the people. But, the folks at the top, the CEO, CIO, etc, they will all go to another co. when the time is at hand, they move from one place to another, not knowing exactly how to run a business, but living off what WAS, just like we are in the US. We are living as a NAtion off what WAS, not what IS or WILL be.

SELL, as they say on Wall St.

Thx for the advice though.

Oh, and besides the factthe 25xx has only slow ethernet, there's no reason ipv6 code can't be squeezed into an IOS. No reason except one. MONEY. How would cisco sell newer junk ? The 25xx series even SOUNDS better as it was made better, it feels right compared to new junk. Same with the PIX, the OS FEELS RIGHTS, it is not something you can see but feel, due I think to how it was coded.

Rambling over !

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card