cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What kind of fiber connection is this? (picture)

sonikbaby
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can someone here identify what kind of connection this is? LC/SC? And what module I would have to buy for this particular switch to add an additional one? The idea is to add an additional port for the same exact connection into this switch.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It looks like you have a 1 Gbps circuit using multimode OM3-rated fiber. (The latter I derive from the Aqua jumper in the existing circuit.)

For your second circuit, you will need another transceiver (probably a GLC-SX-MM or GLC-LH-MM - you can tell from "show inventory" or "show interface" on your switch what the current one is) and a fiber jumper duplex LC-LC, length according to your requirement.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to connect together an SFP to another SFP then you need an LC-LC patch cable.

I don't know what ayou mean by connect SFP to SFP.

I just want to use one of the other SFP ports on this switch to connect another fiber cable of this kinda (LC?) into.

Is this an LC fiber cable?

SFP stands for Small Form-factor Pluggable (Figure 4) and should not be confused with GBIC, aka GigaBit Interface Card (Figure 3).

So if you want to, say, connect a switch together using two SFP, then you need a fibre optic cable with LC-LC (pronounced as El See to El See) terminating ends.

Ok, I see. This would be a redundant fiber internet WAN link that we would be plugging in to that switch. Thanks!

This would be a redundant fiber internet WAN link that we would be plugging in to that switch.

Ok, so one end will be connected to an SFP.  And what the other end?

This is the other end. It would be the fiber connection that has nothing plugged into it.

Ok, that's another LC.  Right, so you need an LC-LC, multi-mode cable.  So what is the fibre run?  OM1?  OM2?  OM3?

It looks like you have a 1 Gbps circuit using multimode OM3-rated fiber. (The latter I derive from the Aqua jumper in the existing circuit.)

For your second circuit, you will need another transceiver (probably a GLC-SX-MM or GLC-LH-MM - you can tell from "show inventory" or "show interface" on your switch what the current one is) and a fiber jumper duplex LC-LC, length according to your requirement.

(The latter I derive from the Aqua jumper in the existing circuit.)

You can buy an OM1 cable with Aqua coloured cable, hence, I asked Marvin.

True, Leo, you CAN buy them in just about any color (or colour for you Commonwealth folks ). I noted that the patch panel housing was also aqua, making the probability even higher that that particular connection was OM3.

Is there a command you can check to make sure what type of fiber is plugged into that port?

The documentation I have on it is telling me 62.5/125um (OM1) but the documentation could be wrong.

No device can tell you the rating of the physical layer medium - only observed characteristics of the signal (received optical power level and voltage etc.).

Often the manufacturer of the cabling prints such information on the jacket of the cable itself. Short of knowing that via physical inspection, the only way you can tell for sure is by using an optical test set.

Thanks everyone this is all very useful information.

dsolangon
Level 1
Level 1

Fire on the picture is LC connector then if you need to i dentify what type of fiber cable needed you need to access the switch command show inventory look for the sfp module then look for the module spec then you can identify what time of cable example multimode or single mode

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card