cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

When is CPU usage too high? 7206VXR-NPE400

Hi,

I'm trying to determine if the CPU usage on my VXR is adversely affecting network traffic.

I'm pushing around 60-70Mbps of traffic through ethernet interfaces on it.

Here's the output of sh proc cpu:

#sh processes cpu sorted 5sec

CPU utilization for five seconds: 41%/40%; one minute: 37%; five minutes: 37%

PID Runtime(ms)   Invoked      uSecs   5Sec   1Min   5Min TTY Process

33   126157176  20324016       6207  0.71%  0.81%  0.81%   0 Per-Second Jobs

49    31033984 237547525        130  0.23%  0.23%  0.24%   0 IP Input

Is 40% interrupt really bad?

I've verified the CEF is on, but I see that there are still some packets not CEF switched:

#sh cef not-cef-switched

CEF Packets passed on to next switching layer

Slot  No_adj No_encap Unsupp'ted Redirect  Receive  Options   Access     Frag

RP    857200       0           0    51295 87547833   141892        0        0

I'm not sure why that is..

Thanks.

-- James

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
VIP Expert

Re: When is CPU usage too high? 7206VXR-NPE400

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Generally, CPU average usage of up to about 75% is okay.

Highlighted
Beginner

When is CPU usage too high? 7206VXR-NPE400

I have a lot of users complaning of slow internet and as far as I can tell the internal network is ok.

So I'm wondering if the VXR is slowing things down or if it's an upstream carrier issue.

Highlighted
VIP Expert

Re: When is CPU usage too high? 7206VXR-NPE400

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"Slow Internet" can have many causes.  Insufficient bandwidth to/from Internet, slow firewall or proxy, slow Internet site, etc.  You'll need to do some more analysis.

BTW, it's not uncommon now a days to have users go home to something like a cable modem, that provides them 10 to 100 Mbps bandwidth, and find a company shared Internet connection "slow".