cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When to replace an old but symptomless enterprise C9300-48U switch?

Hello folks.

I'm tasked with recommending device upgrades to a medium-sized enterprise.

There exists a stack of 4 C9300-48U switches. These are no longer sold by Cisco, but are still supported by Cisco.

I do not know how old they are. They exhibit no negative symptoms. They fit the enterprise needs.

Questions: How long should these remain in operation? Is there some lifespan guideline that should be followed?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Generally before device hits its end-of-support dates.

When that happens, no more software updates for bugs, including those that fix security flaws.

Possibly no more hardware to replace failed hardware.  (Replacing failed hardware [and the pressure to get fully operationally ASAP] can be enough "fun" without also needing to deal with changes to configuration commands due to a newer IOS.)

Of course, at first glance, often one is shocked at the price for a "like" (newer) replacement device, but keep in mind, the "like" (newer) replacement device is often much "faster" than the older unit.  Assuming you don't need the additional performance you can "downsize" a newer device for "like" performance and without (price) "sticker shock".

For example, Cisco, I believe, would recommend a Catalyst 8200 or 8300 to replace a 2900, 3900 or 4K ISR.  Cisco also offers, a possible upgrade discount, up to 38%.  There's nothing wrong with either of the foregoing, but for replacing a 2901, possibly a 900 or 1000 ISR might be fine for you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jmaxwellUSAF wrote:
There exists a stack of 4 C9300-48U switches. These are no longer sold by Cisco

9300-48U is not yet EoS and anyone can still purchase this model from any reputable Cisco distributor.

My mistake. Thank you Leo!

The correct device is Cisco 2901 Integrated Services Router.

Cisco 2901 Integrated Services Router - Cisco

Please advise. Thank you!

The Catalyst 8k routers replaces the ISR 2900, however, I would encourage you to wait until January 31, 2023 because this is usually the time when Cisco Promotions releases new promo for the first half of the year.  

The current Catalyst 8k promo (Cisco Catalyst 8000 upgrade offer) expires at the end of this year. 

Generally before device hits its end-of-support dates.

When that happens, no more software updates for bugs, including those that fix security flaws.

Possibly no more hardware to replace failed hardware.  (Replacing failed hardware [and the pressure to get fully operationally ASAP] can be enough "fun" without also needing to deal with changes to configuration commands due to a newer IOS.)

Of course, at first glance, often one is shocked at the price for a "like" (newer) replacement device, but keep in mind, the "like" (newer) replacement device is often much "faster" than the older unit.  Assuming you don't need the additional performance you can "downsize" a newer device for "like" performance and without (price) "sticker shock".

For example, Cisco, I believe, would recommend a Catalyst 8200 or 8300 to replace a 2900, 3900 or 4K ISR.  Cisco also offers, a possible upgrade discount, up to 38%.  There's nothing wrong with either of the foregoing, but for replacing a 2901, possibly a 900 or 1000 ISR might be fine for you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card