cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When to Use Inter-VLAN Routing vs Dynamic Routing

Zach1234
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a little confused so I have one host that is 10.10.0.100 on vlan 1 with an SVI of 10.10.0.1/16 and I'm trying to ping vlan 100 with ip address 192.168.70.150 and an SVI of 192.168.70.1/24. The way it's laid out is I have a layer 3 Cisco switch directly connected to the host on vlan 1 and I have that switch trunking to a Mikrotik switch which has an access port for the host on vlan 100. I'm not able to ping it though so my question is do I need to configure a static route or dynamic routing in order to ping it. Maybe I'm just configuring the trunking or intervlan routing incorrectly, but I'd mainly like to know when when to use Intervlan routing vs when Dynamic Routing is needed

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have a L3 switch with multiple L3 vlan interfaces ("int vlan x") then as long as routing is enabled the switch will automatically route between vlans, you don't need to add anything. 

Where dynamic routing is used is when you have multiple devices that route traffic and they need to exchange routes so they are all aware of how to get to remote destinations. 

Jon

Just to expand on what Jon already provided.

First, BTW, smaller L3 switch often have routing disabled by default.  So, insure "ip routing" is in the config (which is also what Jon means by insuring routing is enabled).

Second, a L3 device, as Jon notes doesn't need a dynamic routing to route between VLAN interfaces on same device.  However, this also applies to any IP addressed interfaces on that device.  (NB: VRFs or virtual routers can create separate L3 domains, but those are more advanced than the usual situation.)

Third, a dynamic routing protocol isn't actually needed to route to a "remote" network, manually entered static routes might be used too/instead.  The key to understanding is, somehow the L3 device needs to "know" how/where to send a packet when the destination network is not locally connected to that platform.  For network topologies which are not "small", a dynamic routing protocol is generally used.

Hello,

on a side note, I hope this is not a typo ?

--> ip address 192.168.70.150 and an SVI of 192.168.75.1/24

?

Yeah that's not the issue just a typo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card