Views
Helpful
Replies

When use telnet/ssh then switch stop responding even ping does not work

olly ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having a problem which is normally ping works to a switch. I also gets the switch as cdp neighbor from a connected switch as well as can ping the switch from that connected switch. I try to telnet / ssh from connected witch it says connection denied "% Connection refused by remote host" but it still respond to icmp / ping. But when I telnet / ssh from a specific host the switch even stops responding to ping even from directly connected switch. Can anyone specify the cause ?

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure why it would behave differently when you attempt telnet/ssh from the connected switch than from a specific host. The logical explanation might be that the problem switch is configured with access-class for its vty ports which do not permit the switch but do permit the specific host.

I experienced similar symptoms with a switch in a customer network which turned out to be a memory leak in the version of code that the switch was running. You might check on the problem switch to see if it is experiencing low memory issues.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rechard,

Thanks for your reply. Please be informed that I got more than 5/6 switches are behaving same.I guess there is no memory issue as it is not happening for only one switch.

Hi Olly, 

Please share line vty configuration done on both switches(from which you are trying and that switch to which you want to connect). I am suspecting that the transport input & output configuration might not be set properly.  

Hi James,

Please be informed that there is no configuration issue at the switch from which I am trying to telenet. The swich stop even responding to ping when try to telnet from a windows server. And as I mentioned I can not telenet / ssh to the intended switch.

Is there any acl configured on line vty if so permit the windows server ip in that acl and then try to telnet to that switch. Also I hope so,  that you have the set the enable command using enable secret xxx on the switch end. 

Hi James,

I think you could not get my question. If ACL is blocking the ip of windows server then it will simply deny telnet / ssh from that server but still switch will respond to ping request. But the issue is after trying telnet / ssh switch even stop reaponding to ping request. And after 5/10 minutes it start responding again.

olly ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card