Views
Helpful
Replies

Which small router to buy with PoE ports

Travis-Fleming
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I"m trying to find which router may fit our needs. We have about 50 remote 5505 ASA devices doing a point to point VPN connection. With the market moving to the FTD model, we don't want to maintain 50 subscriptions for threat detection and all that jazz, so we are going to explore putting a small router on site that will just funnel all traffic back to our HQ via a VPN tunnel of sorts, DMVPN or IPSec would do. Then their internet traffic would go out our corporate FTD.

One device I've found was the Cisco RV260P, but the ios is different I understand and is mostly gui based. Another feature we need is at least 1 PoE port to power a Cisco Phone. Another router I was looking at was the Cisco 881, it states it can have PoE ports with an optional external power supply.

Does anyone have experience with either of these, or a better affordable option (looking to buy up to 50) when doing just a site to site, IPSec, DMVPN connection back to HQ from a small home office, and have it power a Cisco phone?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Talked with sales. The 881 is being replaced by the 921, but does not offer PoE. We would need to get the Cisco 1111-4P with an optional daughter card if we wanted PoE in them. So we have to buy either the 921 and a power brick for the phone, or an 1111 and the daughter card. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

I don't know RV models bit the 881 has 2 PoE ports. Other 800 routers have poe ports:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/800-series-routers/models-comparison.html

You can also look at Meraki MX devices which also have 2 poe ports and could be easier to manage for 50 sites with identical policies straight out of the box.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

I"m seeing the 881 is EOL in 2020, and is replaced by the 900 series, but I"m not finding any PoE ports. Does anyone know of another model that would have PoE?

Talked with sales. The 881 is being replaced by the 921, but does not offer PoE. We would need to get the Cisco 1111-4P with an optional daughter card if we wanted PoE in them. So we have to buy either the 921 and a power brick for the phone, or an 1111 and the daughter card. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card