cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which technology that connect from HQ to DR site?

rechard_hk
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all expert,

Could you show me how can we connection from HQ to DR site and with topology that we need to implement?

Currently i'm having VPN connection from HQ to branches site and we have plan to implement SR site to back up if our HQ has problem, all the branches site connect to DR site.

i have some question to ask you that:

1- Do we implement DR site just for fire building or connection HQ down?

2- Which topology that we just for DR site?

Note: i'm using Cisco Router 2821 ( HQ ) and Cisco router 1841 ( Branches) and we configure VPN connection.

Best Regards,

Rechard.san

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Rechard,

1- Do we implement DR site just for fire building or connection HQ down?

This is a preference really. The way mine is set up is for both really. If our primary circuit goes down, we roll over through our DR site for all of our locations. If HQ goes down completely, then the DR site will become our HQ. There are a lot of factors that go in determining how you will failover/use the DR site. There are companies that only use it in case the primary site goes down, and then there are those that use it for immediate failover if a problem (even latency) is seen at the HQ site. This would be something that your upper managment, or you if you're upper management, would need to make the decision on and determine which need fits the business better.

2- Which topology that we just for DR site?

Currently, we have an ethernet circuit between us and our DR site. If that's available in your area, you may want to look at that. Otherwise, you could use a point-to-point connection between the HQ and DR sites such as fiber. If you're on an MPLS network, it would be easier for you to fail over than if you were on a point-to-point. The reason I say that is because you'll need two connections at the DR site that are point to point. Consider the following:

DR ---- Site A

|        /

|     /

HQ

If the link between DR and HQ goes down, the HQ site can still get to the DR site via site A (you probably don't want that since I'm considering you'll be syncing data across this link). The other side of the coin shows you that if the HQ link between Site A and HQ goes down, Site A can still get to HQ via the link between Site A and DR.

HTH,

John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Dear John,

Very nince your answer!

I plan to connect from HQ to branches and branches to DR site by VPN connection.

if i use IPsla it can failover link mean that it lookup link from Branches to HQ if the link HQ donw it can switch to DR site.

i don't want connectino down . i mean that if HQ down completly ( not link donw) do we have other command that can configure on Cisc router for branches?

Do you have link or diagram on DR site?

Best Regard,

Rechard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card