cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which WIC module for Cisco 1721, 2 WAN/1 LAN connections

SCI_Mario
Level 1
Level 1

We have been using a fractured T1 (half data/half voice) and have finally brought in an additional high speed provider (Comcast).  We need to keep several of our static routes up on the T1 (disaster recovery replication, remote access, etc) but would like to use the Comcast pipe for browsing, DVR health checks, downloading manuals/firmware/software.  I've found a very affordable Cisco 1721 (prob because it's end-of-life) but am unsure of which WIC is necessary.

The router will function as a border router taking 2 WAN connections.  One from our current T1 (already running off another Cisco 1721, so we'd run a fast-ethernet cable from that one to the new one -- the 1721 we currently have in production is handling the T1 and is leased from our provider, I cannot re-configure or add modules to it), another from our Comcast cable modem (another fast-ethernet connection).  The third connection will be made to our Cisco PiX 515E (since there is already one fast-ethernet connection built in, I had planned  to use that for our firewall connection). I am unsure of which module  to purchase, or if this is the right model to go with.

It appears that the WIC-4ESW is really a 4 port switch module, not router interfaces -- is that correct?  Or will it work fine?

The other modules I've seen are either T1/E1 RJ48 interfaces or a single Ethernet interface (like the 1-ENET).

I've read that the 1-ENET will only function in slot 0, so I couldn't put a second one in slot 1 (plus it apparently only functions at 10BASE-T).

Is there a module (or set of modules) for the 1721 that will give me 2 additional fast-ethernet connections?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree with hoping to get this 1721 to do what we need?

Many thanks for any help!

-Mario Ramirez

Security Central, Inc.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Mario,

The WIC-1ENET card can be installed on slot 0 and slot 1 as well if you running IOS 12.2(2)XJ or 12.2(8)T or higher

see below link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/routers/access/1700/software/feature/guide/cn1ENET.html#wp1046464

"Cisco WIC-1ENET cards marked with the text  "INSTALL IN slot 0 ONLY" can be used in any WIC slot if your router is  running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(2)XJ or higher. "

Those are the option you have with 1721 router.

However as you mentioned that card is only 10M. If that is not suited your network, then perhaps you can look into a different model router.

Regards,

Nahid

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello Mario,

The WIC-1ENET card can be installed on slot 0 and slot 1 as well if you running IOS 12.2(2)XJ or 12.2(8)T or higher

see below link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/routers/access/1700/software/feature/guide/cn1ENET.html#wp1046464

"Cisco WIC-1ENET cards marked with the text  "INSTALL IN slot 0 ONLY" can be used in any WIC slot if your router is  running Cisco IOS Release 12.2(2)XJ or higher. "

Those are the option you have with 1721 router.

However as you mentioned that card is only 10M. If that is not suited your network, then perhaps you can look into a different model router.

Regards,

Nahid

Nahid,

Thank you so much for your answer -- it is good to know we could install that module in slot 1, but we will look into another model since we really need something faster than 10M on those ports.

Thanks again!

-Mario

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card