cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

why do we still need VDC for OTV & VDC for Agg where the SVI lives ?

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Freinds

Talking about N7K

Kindly, why do we still need VDC for OTV & VDC for Agg where the SVI lives ?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Kindly, why do we still need VDC for OTV & VDC for Agg where the SVI lives ?

This only applies if you looking to use nexus 7K with VDC

You can also have outside any component can do OTV  for you.

OTV VDC Only Extended Layer2 VLAN, the Layer 3 SVI in Aggrigation VDC - for your question.

Hope we have shared enough documents in the earlier post - 

also for reference  again :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/guide_c07-728315.pdf

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/otv/config/cisco_nexus7000_otv_config_guide_8x/configuring_basic_otv_features.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hello my freind Balagi

Thanks for ur time to reply BUT I haven't get yet a Clear Answer Related to "why OTV still needs it own VDC" ?

have you got a chance to read this :

Does OTV Require a Separate VDC?
OTV currently enforces switch-virtual-interface (SVI) separation for the VLANs being extended across the OTV link,
meaning that OTV is usually in its own VDC. With the VDC license on the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series you have the
flexibility to have SVIs in other VDCs and have a dedicated VDC for OTV functions.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/guide_c07-728315.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

OTV currently enforces switch-virtual-interface (SVI) separation for the VLANs being extended across the OTV link

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Hello @Ibrahim Jamil ,

it is a question of implementation : the Vlans that are extended over IP network using OTV in the OTV VDC cannot have L3 routing features like SVI in the same VDC.

For this reason the suggested approach is to use two different VDCs one for OTV operations and one for Aggregation that needs to be connected with physical cables between ports belonging to the two different VDCs.

Edit:

probably for implementation reasons in an OTV enabled VLAN it can check the MAC address for local learning and for advertising in IS-IS OTV TLV but it cannot redirect the traffic to an SVI in the same VDC. This is my guess for this limitation

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hello my Freind Giuseppe

Can y pls Ask for me Cisco dudes at ur end , beleive me y have a better connection than me , have to know why OTV still needs its own VDC , whereas the Agg needs a spepate VDC why both doesn't function/Coesits  together in a Single VDC

i think its a tricky Qs

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card