cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does starting Google Chrome make my VPN work

thegroupad
Level 1
Level 1

I have openvpn client on Windows 11 which started to sometimes work and sometimes not (after years of working ok). Two changes I made were windows upgrade and getting a Dell docking station with UTP jack (before was always wireless). I found out if I make connection to the VPN gateway it will 95% not work, but if I then start Chrome with ~10 windows open, it will usually start to work again.

I checked route print output while it's not working, and when it is, and I see no difference. I saw no relevant lines in the windows event log nor on the gateway.

Do you think this is a hardware issue or is it something like automatic metric that can be tuned?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

when you mention Windows 11, my first thought would be Windows Defender. Did you add an exception for OpenVPN ?

Check the link below:

OpenVPN not working in Windows 11? 4 ways to get things on track

https://windowsreport.com/openvpn-windows-11-not-working/#:~:text=This%20could%20be%20due%20to,try%20the%20other%20methods%20here.

Hi

It seems to me more like a software issue.  When Chrome start may some required process is starting together and making it works.

Do you receive any error message? Do you use a specific app to connect or you do it from browser?

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @thegroupad ,

do you mean google chrome browser over Windows 10 /11 ?

I suspect Google Chrome makes a lot of traffic towards Google public cloud .

Compare mozilla firefox and google Chrome we never see Chrome to be updated it happens silently.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card