cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi Calling Lost w/ RV340 Firmware 1.0.02.16

TGM8599
Level 1
Level 1

My RV340 SMB router recently auto-updated its firmware, and, in addition to wiping out my static DHCP tables and making the GUI tablet-unfriendly, it also caused WiFi calling on our cellular lines (both AT&T and T-Mobile) to become unavailable.  I verified UDP 500, UDP 4500, and TCP 143 as present in the Service Management under the System Configuration menu, and all configurations at the carriers seem to be fine.  Has anyone else seen this and found a way to restore function?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TGM8599
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to identify the cause of this issue.  The firmware 1.0.02.16, when loaded via auto-update, cleared all prior settings including the IPSec Passthrough selection under the VPN -> VPN Passthrough sub-menu.  Per the literature on the AT&T esupport site, this setting and a series of open ports are required for WiFi calling:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1114459?gsi=Acdn3eSl

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hello,

I couldn't find anything in the release notes for 1.0.02.16 version. What was the previous version, is it an option to downgrade to what you had before ?

Hello.

The inactive image is 1.0.01.20, and I did attempt to move back to that image.  When I did, my backup configuration (which I save local to the router and not to a local PC as is offered in the options) was not present.  I cannot explain what happened, but the auto-upgrade behaved like a factory reset (with the exception of any trial licenses that had expired - the software remembered that status).  No previous auto-upgrade had the same effect.  Since most of the out-of-the-box configuration had worked fine for me for more than a year, the place I see the most impact is with DHCP (static table gone, range reset to default, etc.).  Within the last week, I also noticed by WiFi calling became inactive with both carriers.  This, being the only configuration change on my network, is where I began to fish.

The change from 1.0.01.20 to 1.0.02.16 seems relatively significant.  Gone is the simple interface I was used to.  It has been replaced by a more "modern" GUI that brought some unexpected surprises.

Thanks for your help!

Hello

I am assuming you didn't make a backup prior to upgrading the firmware that you can restore from?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello.

I described a bit more about the issue in my recent reply to another community member.  In short, my backup configuration (local) was not present in the 1.0.02.16 GUI, and it was similarly not present when I activated the 1.0.01.20 image.  I do not know if there is a fundamental incompatibility between the firmwares (they are quite different at least on the surface) that could have contributed.

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

according to the release notes (attached):

-->  However, we recommend that you reset your device to use the default settings when you upgrade to this version and
reconfigure your device as there are many new features and changes on this version.

So apparently they want you to start from scratch...

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV340/Release_Note/RV34xx_relnote_v1_0_02_16.pdf

Color me disappointed that Cisco would push an update that effectively wipes a configured network without giving the user the option to delay the update.

I will reset to default over the coming days and see if WiFi calling capability is restored when I bring everything back up.  If it’s a no go, I’ll see you soon for more ideas.

Thanks for your fast help!

Hello,

the user guide actually contains a section about the Firmware Auto Fallback Mechanism, which basically means that two firmware versions are kept in flash, and in case something doesn't work as expected, you can restore the other version.

Check page 19 of the user guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV340/Administration/EN/b_RV340x_AG.pdf

I appreciate you guiding me with this issue. In this case, I manually attempted to roll back to the previous image, but was met with another surprise.  From an earlier post:

“The inactive image is 1.0.01.20, and I did attempt to move back to that image.  When I did, my backup configuration (which I save local to the router and not to a local PC as is offered in the options) was not present.  I cannot explain what happened, but the auto-upgrade behaved like a factory reset (with the exception of any trial licenses that had expired - the software remembered that status).  No previous auto-upgrade had the same effect.  Since most of the out-of-the-box configuration had worked fine for me for more than a year, the place I see the most impact is with DHCP (static table gone, range reset to default, etc.).  Within the last week, I also noticed by WiFi calling became inactive with both carriers.  This, being the only configuration change on my network, is where I began to fish.”

I will go back to square one and try, based on community input, to bring the RV340 back to factory default.  From there, I will reconfigure the functionality I need - and hope that WiFi calling comes back.

In general, I do try to keep my equipment updated when major evolutions in firmware like this one are offered.  However, in this case, I do wonder if an “if it ain’t broke approach” would be a better option.  My main issue in this case is the incompatibility of configurations between 1.0.01.20 and 1.0.02.16, and the subsequent need to fully reconfigure the network for each trial.  I’ll let you know how it goes.....perhaps after the NFL playoffs.

Thanks again!

TGM8599
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to identify the cause of this issue.  The firmware 1.0.02.16, when loaded via auto-update, cleared all prior settings including the IPSec Passthrough selection under the VPN -> VPN Passthrough sub-menu.  Per the literature on the AT&T esupport site, this setting and a series of open ports are required for WiFi calling:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1114459?gsi=Acdn3eSl

This (IPSEC Pass pass-through) did indeed resolve the issue experienced with the AT&T (Cisco) Microcell after the firmware upgrade to 1.0.02.16.

Thank you so much for figuring this out!  I wasted a week with T-Mobile, Spectrum, and Apple trying to figure out why this was not working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: