cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will a Cisco 7204 VXR support MEM-NPE-G2-2GB?

j.brumwell
Level 1
Level 1

Will a Cisco 7204 VXR support MEM-NPE-G2-2GB? I am currently running using MEM-NPE-G2-1GB, however when I install MEM-NPE-G2-2GB the router will not boot at all console will not respond. Is there hardware revision limitations etc?

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume your 7204VXR has a NPE-G2 ?

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I can't see any special requirements.  I would try making sure your ROMMON is right up to date.

Yes my chassi does have a NPE-G2. I think you are correct that my ROMmon Image needs to be upgraded. Unfortunately I can't see to get access to the Upgrade file required. Is there a method to get this file required to upgrade? The current OS I am running is :c7200p-spservicesk9-mz.124-24.T1.bin

While the software is still on Cisco's site, if you don't have a current Cisco maintenance contract, like SmartNet, you wont be able to get it.  The device was well gone "end of support" so you can not buy new support contracts on these routers now.

The natural replacement is probably an ASR1k, but even an entry level Cisco 4000 series router will seem powerful compared to a 7204VXR with an NPE-G2.  Even the smallest 4321 comes with 4GB of RAM.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card