cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless coverage

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Does any one know at how much range will you get 54mbps from a 802.11g radio. Cisco gives a chart for 30mw (full power) at 90 ft. I could easily measure this for real and find out, but i wanted to know if any body knows of a chart which shows coverage versus power. (Or is there an equation to find this out)

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
2 Replies 2

hi shanky

i'm a wireless certified person i had implemented 1200 series AP's.shanky in closed environment u will get upto 25 to 30 meters.i mean if one AP is in a room fully closed, then you will get 30 meter's range.This is from my experience.

in open environment you will get some 400 to 500 feet.If you want to go for more distance you have to opt external antenna's.

regarding this chart i have no idea. if you have any updates pls let me know.

Regds

Binoy.

at 30mw power the avg distance at which you get 54Mbps is 90 ft (Cisco has this documented)

They dont show the same info for 20, 10 and 1 mw.

I only wanted to know how much range you would get for 20, 10, and 1 mw...I know that the range really depends on building construction. I have a few floor plans with me, with which I am trying to find an average number of APs that will be required to cover the entire building. This number is only for budgetary purposes for my customer

Of course a site survey will ultimately be performed to determine the real numbers.

Hope I made myself clear this time!

PS: Of course this range is with 2.2dbi antennas (rubber duckies) and also here is the link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_white_paper09186a00801d61a3.shtml

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: