cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ws-x6348-RJ45 replacement

j.mccartney
Level 1
Level 1

Can these modules be added with plug-play or do you have to take the switch down. I'm pretty sure they are hot-swap but can't find the verification in any docs.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

I always shut them down first.

set module shutdown X

This doc confirms they are hot swappable:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_module_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080394e06.html#wp1212676

Another reference:

Understanding Online Insertion and Removal

The online insertion and removal (OIR) feature supported on the Catalyst 6500 series switches allows you to remove and replace modules while the system is online. You can shut down the modules before removal and restart it after insertion without causing other software or interfaces to shut down.

jsayer
Level 1
Level 1

The line cards in the 6500 are fully hot-swappable. The only thing to be aware of is that the 6500 will hold onto the configuration entries from the last card that was inserted in a particular slot. So you may need to issue a "clear config slot#" command to remove any entries unless you are replacing a card with the same type of card.

Hope this helps,

John

Thanks John, I'm adding these to a slot that has never been used before so I think I'm good. Just wanted to make sure, not much room for error in respect to timeframe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card