Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ZTP IOS XR Hostname in DHCP

Is there a possibility to force an IOS XR device to add the hostname in a DHCP request (IOS devices seem to insert it into the DHCP discover)?

5 Replies 5

Hello Matthias,

not sure if this in any way helpful at all, but the only way I know of getting the hostname into ZTP is with a shell script or utility (as described in the document linked below)...

Working with Zero Touch Provisioning

https://xrdocs.io/device-lifecycle/tutorials/2016-08-26-working-with-ztp/

Hi Georg

The way to get it in is clear to me. I would be interested if the hostname could be inserted into the DHCP request by some magic command. 

Thanks for your answer anyway.

Hello Mattias,

DHCP option 12 (hostname) is the only thing I can think of that relates to getting the hostname into a DHCP request...

Hello
Are you asking is if you can you configure the rtr to dynamically update dns with that dns service also on the rtr?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

Sorry for the delay. It's not really DNS that should be updated. But as ZTP is a more than one-step procedure the hostname of a device is a very good identification for further process steps and normal IOS routers add an existing hostname to eventual DHCP requests. IOS XR routers don't, so far. So I was asking myself if there is a trick to force the IOS XR router to do the same thing as his smaller siblings do.

Kind regards

Mat

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card