Views
Helpful
Replies

Cellular profiles for various countries

maxnpj
Level 1
Level 1

Here's the setup, it's a bit long but it requires explanation:

We have a particular device template for North America - "NorthAm Small". This is to be used for Canada, U.S., and Mexico. Now, speaking only about cellular, we have various carriers over this region (Canada = Rogers, U.S. = VZ, U.S. = AT&T, Mexico = Claro). What I *desparately* do NOT want to do is create different device templates for different cellular carriers.

I created a "Cellular profile" device template that has the "Profile ID" and "Access Point Name" as device variables and attached it to the "NorthAm Small" device template. This requires the user to enter a profile number and and APN. That's fine, but here's where it goes off the rails.....In Mexico the carrier requires a username and passwd, and in the "Cellular Profile" device template, those two fields, "Profile Username" and "Profile Password", are not optional. So...I can't see a way to use this same "Cellular Profile" template for all three regions (Canada / U.S. / Mexico)

I thought about creating four cellular profiles which would include the profile nubmer and APN for the "NorthAm Small" device template. (3 = VZW / 4 = AT&T / 11 = Claro / 15 = Rogers) The user can then select the profile at the time of configuration, but I found out that since we are using carrier specific devices in the U.S. (-VZ and -AT) you cannot create any profile other than the one the carrier requires. (For example, I can only create profile 3 on the "-VZ" device, and no other profile)

So...has anybody had a similar experience and solved it in a better way than multiple device templates just to change the cellular profile? (e.g. "NorthAm_Small_Mexico" / "NorthAm_Small_Rest of region"

0 Replies 0