cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISR Router : Migration from IOS XE -> XE SD WAN

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

I have Cisco ISR4451 router which is running IOS & it is used as a normal router with OSPF, static router, ACL & NAT features.

I have the requirement to migrate this router into SD WAN based OS & then later added into the existing SD-WAN fabric.

Let me know how to approach it ?

1. Upgrade the version from ISO XE to XE SDWAN

2. Once I upgrade to the XE SDWAN image, can  I still use the existing configurations on the device or should I need to convert it to the SD-WAN template 

After upgrading to XE SD WAN image can I still be using the configurations as of IOS XE.

I don't want to migrate to SD-WAN fabric immediately

8 Replies 8

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

Any inputs or help

Hi,

After upgrading to XE-SDWAN, if you stick to CLI mode then you would be able to use your previous configurations.

Many of IOS XE configs are not yet supported via template, ex: BGP local-as.

With respect to SDWAN, configuration via template is recommended.

Thanks!

Thanks.

In CLI mode, my understanding is that it will not be managed by vManage. Is this right ?

So in this case, is the below approach right.

1. Upgrade the router from ISO XE -> SD-WAN XE

2. After upgrade it will be in CLI mode. In CLI mode it can use the existing configurations configured via earlier IOS

3. Later migrate from CLI mode to template mode. Once migrated to template mode it will be managed by vManage & it will be part of SD-WAN fabric. 

Let me know if my above understanding is right.

Yes, you are correct.

When you onboard the device it will be a part of SDWAN fabric, you can choose to manage the device either via CLI or by vManage template.

I have all my sites running on vManage mode and all the features he is asking for is definitely supported with vManage. The simplicity of vManage mode is worth it. CLI Mode is just going backwards. Also there is a CLI-Addon template for needed CLI commands that aren't supported via vManage, so.

Yes, there are some off commands that might not be supported, but not everyone is using SD-WAN to hide their ASN. haha

Thanks.

The reason I am looking for CLI mode is because in the initial phase I don't want to use the routers which will be upgraded from IOS XE -> XE SD-WAN image to form any connectivity (IPsec/VPN) to any other devices.

I will be used only as a router which is used for connecting to Internet (No peering with any other router)

Later I will be adding into peering with other SD-WAN devices in later phase.

So the above is feasible right if I have he device in CLI mode.

I agree, do not migrate/convert your IOS XE to IOS XE SDWAN, if you are not planning to onboard

Thanks.

But I want to convert to ISO XE SDWAN so that in next step I want to onboard to the existing SD-WAN network

Phase 1 : Upgrade the ISO to XE SDWAN & use it as normal router along with the existing configuraton

Phase 2 : Onboard to the existing SD-WAN fabric

Let me know if the above is possible & recommended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: