Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SD-WAN & 5G

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

Would like to know about the future of Cisco SD-WAN with future of 5G 

What will be the use case to use SD-WAN in future when 5G will be available ?

Currently we have invested in SD-WAN. In future when 5G is available what will be the use case to use SD-WAN ?

Is is still good to go ahead with investing in SD-WAN considering 5G in the near future ?

6 Replies 6

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

Any inputs or thoughts ?

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Buddy, 

Yes 5G is more on the bandwidth as you will get improved bandwidth what you are getting in 4G and may be many more features but that all features are on underlay segment. Still if you face issues in 5G network how to switch to other technology. SDWAN is automated switchover based on the best performing circuit for your communication across the sites. The most important 5 use case which is always achievable from SDWAN solution is :

Secure automated WAN
Application performance optimization
Secure, direct Internet access (DIA)
Branch multicloud access
Regional hub multicloud access

Cisco SDWAN can provide integrated, end-to-end security across your WAN, branch, and cloud.

regards

Inderdeep Singh

www.thenetworkdna.com

Cisco Champion 2020 

Thanks Understood.

At present I have invested in Cisco ISR & ASR hardware with SD-WAN.

Once 5G comes, will the ISR & ASR SD-WAN hardware's will be able to support it or hardware refresh will be required ?

What kind of hardware dependencies will be there when going towards 5G with SD-WAN ?

Cisco SDWAN are using two kinds of Hardware. One is the Viptela vEdge devices and other is Cisco cEdge devices. The supported devices are as below:

Viptela vEdges: vEdge 100, vEdge 100b, vEdge 100m, vEdge 100wm, vEdge 1000, vEdge 2000, vEdge 5000, vEdge Virtual device on Cloud

Cisco cEdges: ISR 1100-4G, ISR 1100-6G, ASR 1001-X, ASR 1002-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-HX, ISR 4221, ISR 4221-X, ISR 4321, ISR 4331, ISR 4351, ISR 4431, ISR 4451, ISR 4461, ISR 1000 Series, CSR 1000V

Regards

Inderdeep Singh

www.thenetworkdna.com

Cisco Champion 2020

" If you like my reply, please rate my comment"

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks. I have invested in ISR 4431, ISR 4451 routers with SD-WAN.

Once 5G is available, will I be able to use the same hardware with SD-WAN or is it required to purchase new SD-WAN hardware/routers

Any Inputs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: