cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do we have to Internet Connectivity for vBond to have Viptela SDN WAN?

Jackyhope
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I am looking into Viptela SDN WAN for our network, I stumbled upon this youtube about Viptela SDN WAN, at 33:20, it says if vEdge does not have internet connectivity to vBond, then we can not deploy Viptela SD WAN. Is it true? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJnWFoaJe8

Thanks and have a good day!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

in normal design you should have 1:1 NAT for controllers so that devices in internet can access controllers. In addition to, all routers should reach vbond over internet so that vbond can discover their public/private IP addresses.

But it is not "must" option actually. Assume topology where controllers sit in your private DataCenter. And you want to deploy sdwan for wan routers over MPLS (private underlay). In this case, you actually, don't need access to vbond over internet. If you note private (actual) IP address of vbond in all configurations , it will work. No need for NAT and public address and access over internet. But if you will have router in internet it will not be able reach vbond and other controllers, due to lack of NAT.

HTH,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

in normal design you should have 1:1 NAT for controllers so that devices in internet can access controllers. In addition to, all routers should reach vbond over internet so that vbond can discover their public/private IP addresses.

But it is not "must" option actually. Assume topology where controllers sit in your private DataCenter. And you want to deploy sdwan for wan routers over MPLS (private underlay). In this case, you actually, don't need access to vbond over internet. If you note private (actual) IP address of vbond in all configurations , it will work. No need for NAT and public address and access over internet. But if you will have router in internet it will not be able reach vbond and other controllers, due to lack of NAT.

HTH,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

You mean that Vbond can have Private IP address?

If I am not mistaken then Vbond should have public IP address.

vBond itself does not check whether IP address is RFC1918 (private) or not. Technically, yes, you may use private address and no nat for vbond. But as I noted above, it is OK unless you have only private addresses on routers/other controllers. If you have router (vedge or cedge) and that has internet connection, then you need nat for controllers.

HTH,

Eng_Muqrin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kanan

I was facing same issue, If your controllers after the FW ? Then you need to do it 1:1 NAT and enjoy :) 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: