cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enterprise Certificate Management

Steytler
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using the SD-WAN Documentation page to learn Enterprise Cert Management.  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/config/vEdge-sdwan20.html

The Cert Management is under "Installation and Getting Started."  I used the drop down to select different versions because I know there are distinct features that have become avail with each major release.  What's happening is that although I have selected a distinct version, I am sent to the same page.  Somewhere in all this documentations there has to be a "Recommended" solution for which Root CA is supported/recommended.

The SD-WAN controller Certificates and Authorized Serial Number File Prescriptive Deployment Guide for a Enterprise Root Cert CA does not identify a recommended Root CA platform either.  

"Some examples include Linux-based XCA, TinyCA, or OpenSSL (which is part of all Linux distributions) or Windows (where you can install an Ubuntu shell or OpenSSL)"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/SDWAN/cisco-sdwan-controller-cert-deploy-guide.html#Option5EnterpriseRootCertificateAuthorityCA

Does Cisco have a recommended Enterprise Root Cert platform?  Or maybe they did and subsequent versions have included others?  I am not able to find in any docs.

Thx

3 Replies 3

svemulap@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Steytler -

By default, Cisco has its own root-CA for SD-WAN which can be signed via Cisco-PKI. For this, customer needs to have a valid SA / VA (smart-account / virtual-account)

The preferred (default) root-CA is using Cisco PKI. If not, customer can have their own enterprise root cert, with their own signing authority.

HTH

Thank you for that and you touched on my very question. If a customer is not using Cisco-PKI and has their own Enterprise Ca, what is the Cisco recommended solution platform? Or maybe I should ask it this way. IF a customer is running an older version and there is no intent to upgrade and they are using and Enterprise CA, what CA platform does Cisco recommend?
Again - I've looked through many docs, but cannot find the info and I'm telling you there is absolutely a recommended solution. Its just not avail in any documentation.

hi Steytler -

Cisco/Viptela doesn't used to recommend customers to which CA that they should use, in the past for On-Prem customers.

Some of our customers, (on-prem) used their own CA authority.

In the past (old codes), we use to get it signed through Symantec. (cisco-hosted)

As mentioned in the earlier post, from 19.2 and above, we recommend Cisco PKI as CA authority.

Hope it is clear.