Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vEdge 100m Traffic Shaping

I've got a 2Mbps mpls link as a VPN 0 transport on a vEdge 100m. Carrier drops ALL traffic it receives above 2Mbps. I want to treat all traffic the same but simply want it to get across the mpls link and not get dropped. I thought I could accomplish this by simply setting the shaping rate in the mpls interface template to something slightly below 2Mbps (ex: 1.9Mbps). In the template I used the figure "1900".  I have not created any policer because I do not want to police the traffic. I also have not set up any qos-maps because I want all traffic to be treated the same and shaped. However traffic still gets dropped.

Am I missing something? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies 5

Hi,

router receives more traffic on LAN and can't send traffic more than 2mbps. It is normal that you still see drops. Shaping doesn't guarantee that there will not be any drop.

HTH,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

I completely agree that you could still ne dropping packets with shaping. What I really want to confirm is that shaping is actually enabled and working. Any way to check that?

maxnpj
Level 1
Level 1

Funny thing....I recall reading some SDWAN documentation that stated that shaping at a rate under 2Mb is not supported on the 100m. If I can find it again I will update this post. 

Thanks. That would be good to know. If that's the case my customer may need to purchase a slightly larger subscription and shape below it.

Found the doc; search the page for "below 2M"; it's at the end of the section titled "How QoS Works" as a note.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/bridging-routing-segmentation-qos/vedge/bridging-routing-segmentation-qos-book/forwarding-qos.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco