cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vEdge Traffic not failing over to MPLS Link

Joe-Jose
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the scenario, that i am faced with.

There are two DCs. One is the primary and the other is secondary. Primary DC contains two vEdges and secondary contains one.

All the vEdges in both these DC is connected individually to Internet and MPLS ie each router is connected to both internet and MPLS.(We are not using TLOC extension) MPLS connectivity is strictly private and there is no reachability to the any of the controllers via the MPLS network. i have configured failover so that DC1 vEdge01 is the primary router and if that fails DC vEdge02 takes over and if that fails DC2 vEdge01 takes over. I have been testing the DC failover and all of the failover works fine except for the scenaio where i shutdown just the internet connectivity on DC1 vEdge01 and i noticed that the traffic from the branch failsover to DC1 vEdge02 eventhough, branch is able to reach DC1 vEdge01 via MPLS. 

is this how Viptela SD-WAN works, where it always need connectivity to the contollers.? i also noticed that as soon as i shutdown the Internet link on DC1 vEdge01, this router loses its routing table entries. is that normal ? i was expecting the traffic to be shifting to MPLS.

Hope i explained the scenario right ?

3 Replies 3

I understand that the your vedges will form control connections only on the Internet. Are you seeing bfd sessions up for MPLS?

If not try "no control-connectios" under MPLS tunnel-interface. Better restrict it.

Check using "show bfd sessions" command

Yes, BFD sessions are there both via Internet and MPLS, but when internet is shutdown, both Internet and MPLS is apparently useless, as BFD on both these links are torn down.
As with restriction, I haven't restricted the control-connection.

Can you share the below output?

"show run vpn 0"

"show bfd sessions"