cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VEdge2000 with 1000BaseLX to Ciena 6500 DWDM/ROADM Muxsponder/Transponder - Layer2 Known Incompatibilities ? Possible AutoNegotiate bug.

BRIAN SEKLECKI
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had any difficulty connecting a Viptela VEdge2000  to a MetroE or MPLS circuit delivered from a Ciena 6500 in DWDM/ROADM configuration on Muxsponder/Transponder client-facing line card?

I will try to get details about the Ciena 6500 line card and SFP part numbers .

Our problem is that we get a good Layer1/Layer2 link, but we don't see any ethernet frames passing, and thus no ARP.

Carrier suspects it is because Ciena Muxsponder/Transponder client-facing SFP port doesn't support modification of AutoNegotiation settings; our Viptela profile requires autonegotiation to be enabled.

If I terminate the LX handoff from the Ciena 6500 Transponder line card into a Catalyst 9500 switch, on one port of a two-port VLAN, and then pass the adjacent port on up to the VEdge 2000, the circuit works fine.

~BAS

1 Reply 1

BRIAN SEKLECKI
Level 1
Level 1

Additional information:

We found out that the Carrier is using: Ciena 1+8 OTN Flex MOTR Module

This is a muxsponder, not a traditional DWDM Transponder, so it is indeed true that the auto-negotiate settings do not exist on Client ports because Ciena chose not permit for modifying them.

But I'm beginning to wonder if Viptela vEdge software might not have an auto-negotiate bug in the software.

I will share in a separate thread

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: