Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Viptela License consumption information View

HI Team,

I have a few questions related to license viewing for SD-WAN Viptela based devices specifically(Eg vEdge 1000,ISR 1100 etc)

I have 2 questions:

1.I would like to know how and where to view license consumption information for Viptela(vEdge devices) and also Viptela OS based Cisco devices(eg ISR 1100-4G routers). I understand these info are not available in vManage.

2.How and where is the license installed for cEdge and vEdge devices.Is it Smart Licensing based or is it Manually installed.Again (maybe related to question 1)

I browsed the community pages and plenty of cisco docs online but couldnt get much info.

Thanks,

Subramanian

4 Replies 4

1.I would like to know how and where to view license consumption information for Viptela(vEdge devices) and also Viptela OS based Cisco devices(eg ISR 1100-4G routers). I understand these info are not available in vManage.

>>>> We can't see it. I think we only control license based on smart license by smart account. 

2.How and where is the license installed for cEdge and vEdge devices.Is it Smart Licensing based or is it Manually installed.Again (maybe related to question 1)

>>> No need to install in cEdge or vEdge. Just add license list (export from smartaccount) to Vmanage to verify devices.

Thank you very much for your reply.

1.From what I understand for your reply I do understand that we cannot view license consumption on vManage and that I am convince. My query is specifically for the vEdge and I do not see it to be supported as part of Smart licensing which is I guess the only way we can view license consumption, license expiry details etc.This is what Cisco says at 2 different places :

a.Restrictions for Cisco SD-WAN Licensing

Smart Licensing, a standardized licensing platform that simplifies the Cisco software experience, is supported across ISR Series, ASR series, CSR1000V, and ISRv routers. However, Cisco SD-WAN does not support Smart Licensing. Although you can use the Cisco SD-WAN functionalities through the CSR1000V 17.2.1r image - controller mode, Cisco SD-WAN does not support Smart Licensing.
You cannot use the management platforms (such as Cisco vManage) to view license consumption information.
You cannot view license consumption information on Cisco IOS XE SD-WAN devices and Cisco vEdge devices. For information on license consumption, see your purchase order(s).

b.Q.  What software products offer Smart Account and Smart License capabilities?

Answer.  All ISR 1000 series, ISR 4000 series, ASR 1000 series, and the virtual routers of the CSR 1000V and ISRV series include support for Smart Accounts and Licensing. The vEdge products ,including the cloud versions ,will support Smart Licensing in upcoming versions of the software.

For me Point B says license consumption info is possible for IOS-XE SD-WAN devices but not for vEdge and Point A says its not possible for both IOS-XE and vEdge.

My requirement is more on the vEdge or Viptela OS based devices and it looks to me we cannot view the license consumption details anywhere as of now.

2.Just to make sure I understood you ,I guess one has to buy the licenses from CCW and the serial numbers, certificates  etc. of vEdge will be pushed to the CCW in the PnP portal by the Cisco team and be used for authentication and authorization etc. once vEdge boots up. Also the vManage access details are only sent once the purchase is done so that sort of guarantees the authorized users are allowed access .

My concern is on Point1 more .Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,
subramanian

I think you can add license for vedge to smartlicense. And check this in PnP portal (Please find the below image)

After that, you can count how many vedge/cedge comsumed in your licensing.

Screenshot 2020-10-08 182421.png

Hi ,

Thank you .The lab is coming up with vEdge and Cedge  devices purchased.Cisco is yet to add the devices in SA.Once done I will check.

Cheers,

subramanian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: