Helpful
Replies

Cisco OMP + OSPF

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

Everyone

Would like to understand about the below with respect to OMP & OSPF

I am using OSPF as my service side routing protocol & all my vEdge routers are in OSPF Area 0.

My understanding is that vEdge advertises the routes it learnt from OSPF via OMP to vSmart controllers.

vSmart controllers further analyse the routes & pushes it to other vEdge routers.

With respect to this I would like to understand how exactly OSPF & OMP co-work together ?

Is there some kind of redistribution which happens between OSPF & OMP.

Basically would like to understand how it works.

3 Replies 3

HashamM
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

OSPF Inter + Intra routes are redistributed into OMP by default. Explicit configurations are needed to redistribute External routes.

See below link for more details

https://sdwan-docs.cisco.com/Product_Documentation/Software_Features/Release_18.2/03Routing/01Unicast_Overlay_Routing_Overview#OMP_Route_Redistribution

Are OMP routes learned from other vEdges on a single site vEdge redistributed into local vEdge OSPF process for routers behind it? Are they redistributed even when vEdge is set to default originate always so its the default route from all routers behind it?

Simon Ko
Level 1
Level 1

Really simple,

A. OMP's next hop is a site address, not next hop interface.

B. This means, a redistribution has to take place between OMP and OSPF.

You insert your ospf routes by adding "redistribute ospf subnets" or similar under OMP

You redistribute omp into ospf by adding "redistribute omp subnets" under router ospf

All works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: